Sunday, March 22, 2009

Text Messages

I have to admit, I rather like texting. I like that it lets me communicate necessary information quickly and accurately, and I like that I can send quick love-note type messages to people at any time during the day, and they'll get them, and know that they're loved! But sometimes text messages can be a bit ridiculous, like when it takes six hours to have 5 minutes worth of pointless conversation.

Last night I went out with a couple of friends from home, and one of them brought another one of his friends. I guess this guy doesn't have a fabulous history with girls or something, but he was very nice, and kind of fun. Anyway, so this afternoon just before church I got a text message from my buddy from home, and a ridiculous conversation was born:

Friend: So what do you think of my friend?
Me: He was nice... Why?
Friend: Think he was cute?
Me: I wasn't paying attention for that. I'm still basically holding on to being in love with someone else.
Friend: Haha ok, im just trying to hook you up homie
Me: Thanks, friend, but I'm still healing from the last one.
Friend: Yea its cool no worries
Me: Thanks for looking out for me, though!

Ok. So what does this teach us about text messages? Well, first off, we can learn that people have atrocious grammar when texting. Also, they sometimes try to sound cool, which is entertaining, but not necessarily effective. "Homie" just sounds silly in text format. Also, this conversation started at about noon, and ended at about 6:45. That is nowhere near six-and-three-quarters-of-an-hour worth of communication.

Also, it would have been a much more awkward conversation to have on the phone, so it probably wouldn't have happened in a world without text messages, saving me from mortification. Except that I'm not mortified or anything close to it. So I guess what it all boils down to is this: if there were no such thing as text messaging, I would have had one less silly story to ramble about!

No comments: