Monday, March 2, 2009

Squelched

I like that word. It reminds me of grape crushing. Imagine a great big barrel, full of grapes, being smashed as an old woman steps rhythmically up and down... squelch, squelch, squelch.

Fun word. Not such a fun feeling, however. And I'm sort of feeling it lately. It's a little dizzying. One minute I'm happy as a clam (never understood that expression) and the next- squelch- I've been a little crushed. Stupid, stomping feet.

Here's how it all pans out: I am ridiculously excited about my life. All joy and skipping and smiles, right? Other people are being pessimists, though. They keep telling me that my plans won't work, and that my enthusiasm won't last, and that I'm going to end up impoverished and alone on the streets... dying. Talk about squelching!

Okay. So maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. No one has told me recently that I'm going to die of loneliness and starvation. But I feel like the rest of the world is less than perfectly excited for me. And also, they think I'm ridiculous and silly. With so much enthusiasm brimming over in all aspects of my life, I am in need of people who will share it with me. I need some of that joy to be reflected back at me, instead of sucked up like light trying to reflect in a dark room. I need some mirror-people to bounce a bit of joy back off on me!

Oh well. As soon as I get over this brief bout of irritation, I'll be back to beaming life and light and joy off on everything I see.

No comments: