Sunday, October 11, 2009

We're Not Friends

I've realized something today, for probably the billionth time in my life, and I am more than certain that it won't be the last time I have to learn this same lesson over again. Anyway, I have once again realized that Satan is not my friend. He's just not.

Friends build you up and make you feel really great about yourself. They are there when you need them to be, to listen or offer good advice.

Satan and I, we're not friends. Sometimes he tries to convince me that we are. He whispers "hey, want to do something fun?" in my ear, and sometimes fun sounds like way more fun than schoolwork. Sometimes he'll come up and make a funny little joke in my head that makes me giggle a little at the expense of someone else. And then, sometimes before I even know it, he's the one chatting in my ear all day long. Only problem is that it's not very nice chatter.

See, Satan is not my friend. It is not his goal to build me up or make me feel good. He likes to whisper little nasties about me and the people around me. "You're not good enough at any of this... Just give it up- you'll never be anyone anyway... At least you're not as lame as her... There's no way you have the time to do everything for you AND for other people... Those scriptures, they're boring. Just lots of people killing each other, and you already know the stories... Prayer? Ha! You think the Great, Almighty, Infinite God has time to listen to you whine about your day? He's got more to worry about than how you miss your boyfriend and family and don't think you have time to get your stuff done..." and more. There's always something nasty that Satan could whisper into my ear, and he really does try his best to convince me to listen.

This week, I was listening a bit too hard.

Luckily for me, I know some things that Satan doesn't want me to know. Also, he doesn't want me to post them on the internet, I'd bet.

In Moses 1:6, God tells Moses "I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten..." Then Satan comes to Moses, and commands Moses to worship him. "And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who are thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?" (Moses 1:13).

I know that I, too, am a child of God. I am His spiritual daughter, and He cares for me. I know that His Son, Jesus Christ came to Earth to atone for my sins and struggles "...for he is full of grace and truth..." (Moses 1:6). And when I remember this knowledge, it is much more difficult for Satan to get inside my head and heart, because I can say "Who are thou? For behold, I, Caresse, am a daughter of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"

Satan and I, we're not friends. But Jesus Christ? He is my Friend. He is my Savior, Redeemer and King. He lives and loves me and is guiding my life. I know these things to be true, even though I forget them far more often than I should. They are true forever! What a blessing to know these things!

No comments: