Wednesday, February 11, 2009

And the Feasting Continues!

On Monday I wrote about food, but I can't think of any other, more exciting topics to write about, so I am going to continue bragging about the delicious things I have been eating.

So, Monday I had Orange-Ginger tilapia for dinner, which was AMAZING. Tilapia is my most favorite fish ever, I have decided. But I might just be saying that because it's the only kind I've ever cooked with. So, having greatly enjoyed Monday's fish, I made more tilapia on Tuesday. This time it was with teriyaki sauce, and stir-fried carrots and green peppers. I think orange-ginger is better, but this was still quite yummy. THEN we went to the grocery store yesterday, so I bought more good ingredients, so naturally I had to cook with them today. So I made a basil-cinnamon pork chop, and ate it with rice. Also, this is especially exciting because the basil came fresh off of my windowsill, where I have a lovely pink potted basil plant from my Allison roommate. I love anything that lets me use my fresh basil. And it's good with cinnamon! Tomorrow I'm making this stew with beef, green pepper, mushrooms and onion in a sauce made from tomato juice and whipping cream. It's all spicy and peppery, with lots of paprika. My mom got the recipe from one of her college friends who is from Germany, and it is delicious. You're supposed to serve it over egg noodles, but growing up we ate it over rice instead because my daddy doesn't really like egg noodles. I've always wanted to try it that way, though. But I forgot to buy them yesterday, so I'll follow my upbringing and do rice. It's really good that way, because the rice grains soak up all the delicious sauce, and are full of yummy flavors.

I bought new spices at the store yesterday. Allspice and paprika and chili powder. When I added them to my growing arsenal of spices, it was really exciting. I'm starting to have quite the collection, especially for a typical college student. Some of my favorites are ginger and curry, and garlic. And oregeno.

I don't know what I'm going to eat Friday... I might be out of energy for delicious food making by then. But I do know that I absolutely love making good food, whether I'm using a recipe or making it up as I go.

On a slightly more serious note, I was talking to a friend about scriptures and religion and our testimonies of the Savior, and he said "We really do have a great feast in front of us, don't we?" referring to the scriptures' prompt to "feast upon the words of Christ". And it's true; there is an abundance of goodness and joy that can be ours if we only partake of it. And so, the feasting continues... and it is perfectly glorious!

No comments: