Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mmmm...

So, it's been a while since I blogged about food (by the way, why am I so random in my post topics? It's crazy) and I feel like celebrating my latest triumph on the internet.

Tonight I made up a delicious recipe. It started with an old orange that I bought probably a month or so ago... maybe longer. You know how they get all tough and icky after a few months? So, I didn't want to eat it, but I hate wasting things, so I juiced it! First I had to pound it around on my kitchen counter, though. And then I added some ingredients, and stirred stuff, and made rice, and about 20 minutes after I started, I had created some seriously delicious Orange Shrimps and Broccoli. Seriously, yum.

And you want to know the exciting part? The only cooking techniques I used were: boiling. Also, squishing an orange. And smelling stuff. That's all! I didn't even accurately measure anything, just kinda tossed stuff in.

Here's what I did:

In one pot, put some rice. Next put about twice that and a little more of water. Boil it for 15 min. and then take it off the heat, but leave the lid on.

In another pot, put some water. Throw in a little bit of dried onion, unless you have real live onions, in which case green onion would probably be the best. Toss in enough shrimps and broccolis that you think "after eating these with a serving of rice, I will be full" and then maybe add a few more broccolis. Veggies are good for you. Note: Use the frozen kind of both of these guys. That way you're just responsible for getting them warm!

Next, smush your orange around on the counter. Bang it up a bit. Chop it in half, and squish all the juice out, mix in a bit of water, and some quick dashes of soy sauce, and a largish pinch of brown sugar, and some sesame oil, but just a little bit because it's strong, and also some ginger, which is also strong, so watch out. Stir this in a small pot. Boil it, but just for a little bit.

Next, drain your shrimps and broccolis, and mix them into your sauce. Stick some rice on your plate, dump the other guys on top and eat it. It's delish! Also, you only have to know how to boil! Also, it only took 20 minutes or so!

No comments: