Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Statistics

Definitely my least favorite class of the semester, STAT 221 is a three hour long block of monotone slide reading and corny jokes once every week. It's also ridiculously easy for me; math always has been, so these concepts are coming quickly to my mind, and it's a 200 level course, taken by a lot of freshmen. As a senior, I've already figured out how to do college, so I'm a bit ahead of that curve. No wonder I find it so difficult to convince myself that it is worth it to actually attend class...

You see, I can read the slides to myself much more quickly than my professor can read them to us all.

And patience while waiting for other people to catch up with the class has never been my strongest trait.

And Tuesdays are already horribly long- I'm at work or class from 8 am to 7 pm, and then have to go home to do more studying.

Plus, I learned what the mean and median are in 2nd grade. These are concepts that I've understood for about 2/3 of my lifetime.

So I struggle convincing myself that it's worth my time to go to class. There are open TA office hours and labs if I get into a sticky spot where I don't understand anything. And I know lots of smart people who have passed basic statistics classes who I could go to for help if I needed to.

That is all. Not a great attitude to have toward a class so early in the semester (by the way, can you believe that school has been back in session for almost a month? I can't.) But that's life. Sometimes I just have a pessimistic, impatient sort of attitude.

No comments: