Here's the situation:
I moved out to school 4 years ago with 2 suitcases full to their brims with my things, and a big box in the mail. I then proceeded to buy more stuff. And to be given more stuff. And to buy even more stuff. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 4 years.
Then, I decided to graduate. And move. To Alaska... so, not exactly nearby.
So, I started to go through my room. And I was reminded of something about myself: I like to keep stuff. I like to hold on to it, just in case I need it. I like to give it away, in case someone else could get good use out of it. I like to recycle it into materials for new, exciting projects. I do not like throwing it out.
However, there simply is not room to take all of the stuff I have gathered through my college career to Anchorage. I'm flying. That means I have to limit myself. So.
Suitcase 1: For $23, I am flying every good item of clothing that I own and a large quilt with me to AK. Also, 2 pairs of shoes and including all of my coats and jackets.
Suitcase 1: For $23, I am flying every good item of clothing that I own and a large quilt with me to AK. Also, 2 pairs of shoes and including all of my coats and jackets.
Suitcase 2: For an additional $32, I am taking the crappy clothes that I need to work in, more bedding, and most of my other shoes. Also, all of my toiletries.
Suitcase 3: As my carry on luggage I am taking paper. Piano music, official documents, scrapbook of my family... Also, my sheets, towels, and more shoes. A few other odds and ends might make it in on the very top.
Bag: My "personal item" is a very large, dumpy, tote. It will be carrying my laptop, scriptures, camera, iPod, wallet, etc... and I don't think I'll be able to quite close it shut, technically. Oh, well.
In addition to looking like a crazy lady as I wheel my veritable heaps of stuff around the airport (oh, yeah! That's gonna be exciting!) I will be shipping boxes.
Box 1: TO ANCHORAGE. I am sending up my cookbook and recipe file, my board games, yet another blanket (wow, it sounds like I have just tons of bedding... I promise it's just spread out!) DVDs, CDs, and other small odds and ends that are going to be necessities eventually, and that I couldn't convince myself to toss out and replace when I got there.
Box 2: TO CHANTILLY. I am sending home my textbooks. Not all of them, but the ones that I want to keep. I don't figure I'll want them in Anchorage, but I'll want them eventually.
In addition to all of this, I have thrown out 5 and 1/2 garbage bags of old papers, bags, half-used toiletries, class notes, tired school supplies, and just plain trash. I have bagged up an additional 2 garbage bags of clothes that are in good condition but that I don't love. I have thrown all of my good school supplies and my printer into a box to give my sister who'll be a freshman here next year. I've taken some of my school stuff up to the Cluff building to leave it for anyone who may want it in the future. I've left a cupboard full of food that may or may not be used at some point. And I have about another medium-sized box-worth of stuff that survived the first major room-purging, but hasn't yet made the cut for getting packed up for a trip to AK. Don't know what the eventual fate of those things will be.
This has been quite the struggle. I don't like throwing things out. At all. I like to have them forever. But it's necessary- I can't just keep everything forever! So, let the packing continue... a day and a half til I'm off!
No comments:
Post a Comment