Friday, December 18, 2009

Inconvenient

So, I live in this town where it snows all the time. All winter long, we've got snow and snow and more snow. Sometimes, to shake things up, it's just really, really, freezing cold for a few days, but then it never fails to snow again.

I am always so excited to go home for Christmas and escape the Utah winter. It's usually a little tricky to get out, with the icky weather in Salt Lake, and then sometimes on my connections. This time I'm flying through Denver: SLC and DEN- yikes, that's double-risky!

Anyway, I was all up to date on the weather reports: Salt Lake, clear skies all weekend. Denver, mostly sunny through Tuesday. So, we're good, right? Clear, going to get home no problem. Perfect!

But, no... that would be too, too, convenient. Instead a massive storm has decided to hit the east coast tonight.

They closed schools and cancelled church a few weeks ago for 4 inches of snow.

Translation: No one back home knows what to do with snow at all. Everyone is entirely incompetent, and cannot manage to get snow off of the ground. We're just not used to it.

The all-time high for a December snow event in DC is currently set at 12 inches. Quote:

"Total storm snowfall totals of 1 to 2 feet are forecast to occur in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan areas by dawn Sunday... Which should eclipse the December records for both cities. The record December snowfall for Washington is 12.0 inches on 18-19 December 1932"

So, basically this is outside the norm, to say the least.

And highly inconvenient.

I just want to go home!

Dumb snow.

No comments: